Review Unit – 15,000 years ago – 1900 a.d.
Posted in Featured, Modern U.S.
Required Class Materials
- Single Subject Binder
- Writing Utensil
How were Europeans able to eventually dominate the Native Americans?
Roots of Inequality
- Focus Question: What advantages did Europeans have that Native Americans did not?
- Watch clips of Guns, Germs, Steel – https://youtu.be/36BQW1SuHQ8?t=1724 (watch 15 minutes)
- Reviewed Lecture Notes – https://youtu.be/VuVXLqrsRgI
- Geographic Luck – Some groups of people were luckier than others depending on where they were born. Luck based on geography (flora, fauna & climate)
- PAL (Plants, Animals, Latitude)
- ESPN- HD (Easily Planted, Storable, Prolific, Nutritious, Harvestable, Domesticable)
- SPIFF (Shelter, Power, Immunities, Food, Fertilizer)
- Hunter Gatherer -> Simple Farming -> Complex Agriculture
- Watch – ‘The Columbian Exchange Crash Course Video’
Wars of Conquest
- Focus Question – How were Europeans able to eventually colonize much of North America?
- Indian Wars – Watch Massacre at Mystic and filled out worksheet
- French and Indian War(s) – Watch Seven Years War Crash Course Video
Wars of Independence
- Briefly discussed the American Revolution (Haitian, French, and other Democratic revolutions)
- Freedom to Oppress – Freedom of White Americans to oppress Native American, Blacks, and Women
Colonizing North America – 1800’s
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD7x6jryoSA
- Read article ‘Blankets for the Dead’ (PDF) and complete the Cherokee Removal Assignment (CherokeeRemoval Handout).
- May watch Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee – trailer
- Take notes to add to your essay
- Essay (50%)
- Quiz (30%)
- Reflection (10%)
- Classwork (10%)